I think the generic issue(s) you’re poking at is how to distinguish (the encoding of) non-existence from not-knowing.
The second issue is encoding errata, i.e. you forgot to tag something or you didn’t know how to tag it properly.

issue 1) is about encoding guidelines, issue 2) is about editing principles.

Regarding 1) The non-existence of something is usually encoded by not-encoding, i.e. the presence of a co-author is encoded as a second <author>  element, the absence of a co-author can be inferred(!) only by the absence of a second <author> element.

tldr; In my opinion there is no generalisable way to encode the "not-knowing“ (of such structural features) – we can work around with project specific conventions, where I’d prefer an empty tag (<author>) over a reserved string („unknown“).

Hope that makes sense
Best
Peter