We use to have a page where you could go and enroll in this year's
exchange, say how many people you wanted to exchange cards with, and how
many you were willing/able to send internationally.  I imagine that page
is still around, along with the script that would then take the info
when the enrollment period had closed and run lists and send them to
everyone, so we all got a few people to send to, but didn't have to just
pick them ourselves and potentially leave some people out.

I confess doing it the way we're discussing for this year reminds me a
bit of one of those lineups in school where some of us were always the
ones who didn't get picked.