Jörg Rhiemeier wrote:

>...What we now call "progressive rock" started as the English (I mean, pertaining to
>England) flavour of this wider "progressive" genre. The semantic shift
>happened when most other regional flavours of "progressive music" failed
>to transgress the borders of their home countries and faltered as the
>70s moved on and the Counterculture lost momentum, while English
>progressive rock became a model for a new generation of bands from
>everywhere. In some cases, bands from the non-English genres shifted to
>progressive rock based on the English model, such as the West German
>bands Eloy and Grobschnitt.

The music of 1975-to-1984 period Eloy is one of the four main influences on my own prog songs (the other three being 1980's Rush, classic-period Yes, and the RPI bands like PFM, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Osanna, Locanda delle Fate, etc.).

>But why did progressive rock from England eclipse all other national and
>regional progressive musics? What was so unique about it that it came to
>become a global genre, persisting ever since then (even though it lost
>mainstream popularity in the late 1970s)? This is hard to tell, but it
>seems as if English progressive rock, drawing on an unbroken musical
>heritage (English "classical" music did not become dominated by
>serialism as everywhere else in Western Europe and North America, which
>turned out to be a dead end), was more accessible than, for instance,
>West German Krautrock with its stagnant collective improvisations, and
>with its changeful pieces progressing through different movements, was
>more entertaining and inspiring. But maybe my perception of these
>matters are clouded by my own preference for it. Tastes differ!

No need to be so hard on Krautrock:  the first five Amon Düül II albums are some of my favorites in all rock music, and, to my ear, were way more innovative and interesting than anything Jefferson Airplane (to whom they've been compared) or the other "psychedelic" bands ever did.

>BTW: I am writing progressive rock music myself (though with lyrics in
>English rather than a conlang), and I am currently trying to get a band
>together in order to perform it.

Hey, maybe you and Pete Bleackley can join forces and do a cross-Channel collaboration.  I'd love to hear some some iljena lyrics sung to Caterbury-style prog, followed by some Old Albic sung to music that sounds like Eloy or maybe Anyone's Daughter....

--John Q.