Dear Hayim,
intrigued by your post I did reread relevant section and I wonder what is
it that you are interested in: the metamarks or the transpositions (or
both)?

Looking at transposition examples
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/PH.html#transpo in the
Guidelines it looks to me that positioning of the <metamark> element could
be easily as a child or a sibling of the relevant passage (but definitely
not limited to these positions, given the broad range of proofing metamarks
in use). Nevertheless for reconstituting the intended order of the text the
only relevant part are listTranspose/transpose entries, not the metamarks.
Key is to have something to point <transpose> to, so as you mentioned to
use <w> if fitting or dedicated <seg> as identifiable wrapper element for
the chunk being transposed.

Best,

Magdalena