Peter,
I am not sure about this. What is usually meant is that an author strikes through a passage, but by realizing that it was wrongly done adds some dashes below the word to restore the previous state. As in the case of rend/rendition/style I tend to limit the use of <restore>  to phenomena I see in the source in front of me and wouldn't use it for the purpose of providing a special view on the document.  Your meaning of "editorial" here seems to suggest a particular output  produced by an e.g. XSLT. Accordingly I'd rather use a xml:id attribut for the relevant <del> element  and display it by XSLT whereas the other <del> elements are left out.
Best,
Thomas