Dear Franz,

thanks for your comments!

Am 08.01.19 um 17:36 schrieb Franz Fischer:
> Even though I wouldn't say titlePage is not suitable for a multi witness
> approach in principle, I'd suggest to avoid it and use a div
> type="titlePage" (or sim.) instead, in analogy of div type="colophon".
> Actually, I would even avoid the use of front and back in a manuscript
> setting. But I am ignorant about the nature of your manuscripts.

That’s a good suggestion, and I might chose this way as a workaround in
the meantime. However, I feel the nature of the manuscripts somehow
justifies using front/back and titlePage, as these are actually front
and back matter added by the scribes and clearly distinguishable from
the original text they were copying.

> Your side note on the colophon element concerns also other descriptive
> elements such as rubric, incipit and explicit. I learned to accept the
> restriction of their use to msDesc, because they are more like
> bibliographical-codicological metadata. But I agree, it seems odd to use
> work arounds like div, ab or seg with respective type values instead of
> existing expressive elements.

Good to know that I’m not alone in that feeling. And I totally agree,
that also concerns the other elements you list.

Best,
Frederik

--
Dr. Frederik Elwert