Dear all,

Dr. Tim Duguid (University of Glasgow) and I will be teaching a week-long course on Music Encoding at the Digital Humanities Summer Institute this June (it will be our second run). Music Encoding is a close cousin of text encoding and I hope some of you (or someone in your network!) will find this interesting. Full scholarships are available for students. Announcement below.

With many thanks and best wishes,

Raff Viglianti

Harness the power of technology for your music research!

Would you like to harness your computer to conduct corpus-wide musical analyses?

Are you interested in digital music editing and publishing?

Full-tuition awards available!

After a successful offering in 2018, the Digital Humanities Summer Institute (DHSI) is again offering its course entitled “Music Encoding Fundamentals and their Applications” in June 2019. This exciting course offers an introduction to the theory and practice of encoding electronic musical scores. It is designed for students, early career researchers and senior academics who are interested in a music-encoding project, or for those who would like to better understand the philosophy, theory, and practicalities of encoding notated music. Moreover, it will consider ways of incorporating sound and text files with encoded music notation. Participants should have a basic knowledge of how to read music, but no prior experience with coding is assumed.

The course will run on June 10-14, 2019, on the beautiful campus of the University of Victoria.

For more information on the full-tuition awards, see scholarships at: http://www.dhsi.org/scholarships.php.

For more information on this course and DHSI, see Course 32: http://www.dhsi.org/index.php.

See you in Victoria!

--