Hello list,

In one of our editions, the bits of text that the author deleted, marked as <del>, are not shown in the final reading text. Suppose there is also a larger text fragment that was deleted, which, as an exception, the editor wants to include in the reading text. How would you feel about encoding this as:

The definition of <restore> says 'restoration of text to an earlier state by cancellation of an *editorial* or authorial marking or instruction'. So to me this seems perhaps strange, but still entirely legitimate.

Any opinions? Handle this in a rend attribute perhaps?

Peter

Peter Boot ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Senior researcher
Huygens Institute for the History of the Netherlands (Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences)
http://www.huygens.knaw.nl/boot/
http://peterboot.nl/
Tel.: +31 20 2246825