Hello Peter,

if you want to include that information you could also look into the @status attribute of <del>. It’s scope is a bit different, but in another project I used status="faulty" to mark an intervention that the editor did not agree with. (If faulty is too strong, you might find another value that better represents the editor’s rationale.)

In the XSLT, a test for @status = "faulty" then reversed the usual action: Not omit a deletion, not include an addition, not perform a substitution.

Interestingly, "faulty" is not included in the list of sample values, but it is mentioned in the usage note (probably as a super-category of the supplied values):

> Marking a deletion or addition as faulty is inescapably an interpretive act; the usual test applied in practice is the linguistic acceptability of the text with and without the letters or words in question.

http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-att.transcriptional.html

Best,
Frederik

Am 30.01.19 um 13:28 schrieb Thomas Stäcker:
> Peter,
> I am not sure about this. What is usually meant is that an author
> strikes through a passage, but by realizing that it was wrongly done
> adds some dashes below the word to restore the previous state. As in the
> case of rend/rendition/style I tend to limit the use of <restore>  to
> phenomena I see in the source in front of me and wouldn't use it for the
> purpose of providing a special view on the document.  Your meaning of
> "editorial" here seems to suggest a particular output  produced by an
> e.g. XSLT. Accordingly I'd rather use a xml:id attribut for the relevant
> <del> element  and display it by XSLT whereas the other <del> elements
> are left out.
> Best,
> Thomas
>

> Am 30.01.2019 um 09:58 schrieb Peter Boot:
> >
> > Hello list,
> >

> > In one of our editions, the bits of text that the author deleted,
> > marked as <del>, are not shown in the final reading text. Suppose
> > there is also a larger text fragment that was deleted, which, as an
> > exception, the editor wants to include in the reading text. How would
> > you feel about encoding this as:

> > The definition of <restore> says ‘restoration of text to an earlier
> > state by cancellation of an **editorial** or authorial marking or
> > instruction’. So to me this seems perhaps strange, but still entirely
> > legitimate.
> >

> > Any opinions? Handle this in a rend attribute perhaps?
> >

> > Peter
> >

> > Peter Boot ([log in to unmask]
> > <mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
> >
> > Senior researcher
> >
> > Huygens Institute for the History of the Netherlands (Royal
> > Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences)
> >
> > http://www.huygens.knaw.nl/boot/
> >
> > http://peterboot.nl/
> >
> > Tel.: +31 20 2246825
> >

> --
> ***************************************
> Prof. Dr. Thomas Stäcker
> Direktor der
> Universitäts- und Landesbibliothek Darmstadt
> Magdalenenstr. 8
> 64289 Darmstadt
> +49 (0)6151 16-76200

Dr. Frederik Elwert