I was going over a list of place names and notices an odd thing with the
names "Mazavdi" and "Zalaché" ... the modern Yasaro names of these
places have an /h/ where the original name has a /z/ (Mahǎali, Hanǎkii).
This is a bit of a puzzle, but from what I've seen it makes sense that a
/z/ would be borrowed as some other sound in Yassavran (since there's
not any evidence that Yassavran had a /z/ phoneme). Most likely /z/
would have been borrowed as /s/, and /s/ -> /h/ seems like a reasonable
sound change, right? Modern "Zalaché" could have been changed from an
earlier version of the name, like "Zadakéi". So the Yassavran names of
Mazavdi and Zalaché could have been Masavlí and Sadakéi. It seems
reasonable.

There's just one problem: /s/ in Yassavran remains /s/ in modern Yasaro
... in words like "Yasaro" among others. Yeah. I can see at least two
options around this. Maybe /s/ only changed to /h/ in unstressed
syllables (which means the change must have happened before the stress
on final syllables was shifted to the next-to-last syllable). Or another
option is that /z/ was borrowed as some other phoneme, /ɣ/ perhaps,
which later merged with /h/. One problem with the first option is that
"Srareví" (the Yassavran name for the Hrarevi region) is "Sarěvi" in
modern Yasaro ... but maybe the /sr/ cluster was changed to /ʂ/ before
the /s/ -> /h/ rule applied? It's possible, I guess. The problem with
the second option is that the supposed /ɣ/ phoneme ought to have been
represented in the spelling with its own letter. Maybe a spelling reform
removed the /ɣ/ letter from the alphabet after it merged with /h/? I'm
not too satisfied with either explanation, but I think the /s/ -> /h/
change seems more likely.

Here's a few place names with their tentative equivalents in Yassavran
and modern Yasaro. I might be changing how I represent the sounds of
Yasaro in Romanized spelling, but I haven't decided yet. I've tried
macrons for the long vowels, but they're awkward with the tone marks. I
might end up using /á à/ (high, low) for the short vowels and /â ǎ/
(falling, rising) for the long vowels when they have a tone mark. Or I
might leave it the way I've got it now, with double vowel letters for
long vowels (as in Tirëlat romanization). Also, I might want to
represent /j/ as "y", especially if Yassavran has a /ɟ/ phoneme.

Denevel	Denvél	Něṅvee
Hrarevi	Srareví	Sarěvi
Kenet	Kenét	Kěnet
Kirakov	Kírakov	Čîrakuu