On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 15:10:58 +0200
Daniel Bensen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Wikipedia says that the /r/ sound in Malay/Indonesian is very
> variable. Then again, Wikipedia said a bunch of stuff that both you
> guys and my native speaker friend directly contradicted, so...

Most (90%) Indonesian speakers of Malay are second-language speakers, so
there's bound to be variation. For native speakers, syllable-final -r
is silent, otherwise /r/ is a uvular fricative. Another point is that
syllable-final -k is a glottal stop, except in loan words: makna
[maʔna] 'meaning' but maknit [maknit] 'magnet'.