My point in asking the question was to find out, if the expression is used in their conlangs, what prepositions/cases do conlangers use.
I notice that English, like many other languages, has several ways to express agreement: I agree with him, I am in accord with him, I see eye to eye with him. In Wiktionary I find 10+ synonyms for "agree" for different situations. Nor is "eye to eye" the only way to express agreement in Senjecas. I think that, as long as the people of a conculture have eyes, the idiom is acceptable.
Charlie

----- Original Message -----
From: Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 17:23:57 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Eye to eye

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 07:49:05 -0500, C. Brickner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi!In a recent translation exercise I had to translate "eye to eye". Of course a synonymous expression could be used, to agree or to disagree, but I wanted to be as close to the original as possible.

The devil hasn't had an advocate here yet, so: why?  Why do you want to put into your conlang (is this Senjecan?) a turn of phrase matching this English idiom?  Doing that seems, holistically, like bad translation practice, although I can see it might be useful for coming up with minor constructions whose translation equivalents you could use in different ways.

I checked Wiktionary, as I usually do, and "eye to eye" there redirects to "see eye to eye".  Huh, fair enough, I guess it does only occur with "see".  There were no translations listed in the entry, but there were five other Wiktionaries which had entries for the English.  None of those gave a translation which appeared to have any noun in it twice (though in Malagasy there was a reduplication _mam(p(if))ilafila_ whose base I'm not good enough with Malagasy to know how to look up).  The Russian gave a few translations which seemed possibly equally idiomatic: _находить общий язык_ 'find a common language', _сходиться во взглядах_ 'converge in views' (where _взгляд_ ~= 'view' in both the concrete optical and metaphoric mental senses).  Those seem like nice arrows to have in one's quiver when working out how to say this in a conlang.

Alex