As far as translating something like "eye to eye" literally being bad
translation practice, I would *generally* agree, BUT occasionally such
things happen. Isn't that exactly what calques are? Literal translations of
odd terms from one language to another. And, if I haven't misremembered,
English has the phrase "by the skin of one's teeth" exactly because of such
a literal translation from the Hebrew in...the Book of Job, I believe.
Translating literature is probably responsible for a fair few of
these...crosspollinations. So NOT a good idea to do with any frequency, but
acceptable with restraint.

*A. Walker Scott, Author of No Road Among the Stars*
*Sample or purchase No Road Among the Stars*:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/872202