Just wondering whether what similar Peds ED does with mental health
boarders in peds ED.  We have 7 beds in Peds ED  and its not uncommon 3 or
4 beds are occupied by mental health pts pending  admission (sometimes  3
to 4 days ). We have tried  to work out with our pediatric inpatient team
by requesting them to place them in the pediatric floor , but we often
encounter resistance citing nursing staffing issues or safety issues. How
do you folks handle similar conundrum of long mental health holds in peds
ED?

I think that patients feel more stressed out by staying in bed/room for 3
to 4 days. Any suggestions welcome. Do your  pediatric floor accepts such
patients?

Also what is the role of peds observation units in helping with these
patients?

Thanks

Mathew
Coney Island Hospital