On 30/04/2019 16:31, Logan Kearsley wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 at 08:54, Aidan Aannestad wrote:
>>
>> On 2019/04/30 8:01, Raymond Brown wrote:
[snip]

>>> A lovely idea. I think I could 'discover' the Outidic words for
>>> _sheep, rose_ and _fox_.  But as Outidic is the invention of the
>>>  17th century eccentric, Dr Outis, there's no way I can discover
>>>  words for (aero-/air-)plane and other 21st century artifacts
>>> Pity.   :(
>>
>> I have a similar problem with Emihtazuu, which due to its in-world
>>  setting, should never have words for 'engine' or 'mechanic' (or
>> arguably 'geography' or 'grammar'!). It would be so much fun,
>> though; it's a shame.
>>
>> Maybe someday when my still-unnamed polysynthetic language is
>> usable, I'll be able to do a translation. That one's actually
>> meant to handle modern things.
>
> You'll just have to do a cultural, as well as linguistic,

> translation.

I know - but I feel changing the whole thing into a plausible 17th
century setting would be too far from the story and feel artificial.  It
reminds me of some of Latin/ Grrek prose composition tasks were set at
scholl in the late 1950s.  A not uncommon exercise was to take the third
leader in Times editorial and render it in the _classical_ language,
making the necessary 'cultural translations' as well.  IMO too
artifiicial and would not do justice to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's story.

I'll just have to wait till either Britainese or Brx is developed enough.

Ray