On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 1:34 PM Gerard Cheshire <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Sequence: Classical Latin, Vulgar Latin, Proto-Romance, Romance.

That's the spoken sequence, and Classical Latin stopped being the spoken
language long before it stopped being the written one. The other three were
almost never written, though the written form did slowly accumulate
Vulgarisms as it became Late Latin. So if the VM really is a written sample
of Porto-Romance, that's a rare find indeed.

I'm no Latinist, but it feels like Medieval Latin should fit in there
somewhere; I'm not sure where. It's an intentional throwback, closer to
classical Latin than the Romance languages, and forms the basis of
Ecclesiastical Latin, which of course has a large written corpus...

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>