On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 11:47:35AM -0700, Gary Shannon wrote:
>Another small choice to be made. I noticed that in different places in the
>translation of Alice use different combinations of verb+adverb or
>"comprehensive" verb to express certain ideas. Should I pick a single
>consistent way and stick with it, or is it, would you think, OK to keep it
>mixed.
>
>Obviously we can do it several ways in English:
>
>He walked past me.  OR He passed me walking.
>He ran out of the house. OR He left the house running. OR He fled the house.

To the extent that it's useful, the "leave running" option is the
default way to handle things like this in Mari. The relevant
constructions are also frequently used to indicate aspect, in which case
the finite verb is often a perfectly normal verb such as "to sit" or "to
stand", which has been semantically bleached to the point where it only
conveys an aspectual meaning.

 - kechpaja -