On 23/05/2019 19:02, Daniel Bensen wrote:
> Yes but "scoliography" matches how I feel after I've been hunched
> over my desk, making words all day.

	:-)

> On Thu, May 23, 2019, 8:54 PM And Rosta wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 May 2019 at 17:44, Raymond Brown wrote:
[snip]

>>> So did I, as it appeared meaningless.  Well, the -graphy bit
>>> obviously was to do with writing.  But _stribo-_ ?   I consulted
>>> Liddell & Scott Lexicon and found only στρίβος /stríbos/ which
>>> some ancient commentator gives as meaning "a weak, fine voice."
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> To add to amusement and confound classists like me, you coined

>>> the first part from_modern_ Greek στρίβω /'strivo/ "I twist". :)
>>>

>> That I didn't spot. I suppose it is an unorthodox coinage now

Not as unorthodox IMO as _television_ and other Greek+Latin compounds
_hexadecimal_ is particularly ghastly).  At least both elements of
_stribography_ are Greek.

>> hallowed by tradition, it being 16 years old and now, thanks to

>> Alex, in current usage.

Quite so, just like _television_ & _hexadecimal_.

>> What word would you have offered in its stead? Plectography,
>> diastrophography, scoliography? I think "Diastrophography" fits the
>> meaning best,

I agree.  But _stribography_ is shorter & 'hallowed by tradition'.  It's
kind of nice to think a word invented for a joke has now entered
'serious' conlang termonology.

Ray