A technique I've been using is to make the first time I translate some
sort of cultural significant document/poem/etc. Then it makes sense
for the Ikea language to have a single word that means "queen-sized
larch-wood futon, some assembly required" and the Trolls language to
have verbs be hortative-reciprocal by default ("let's hug each
other!")