I suppose you're right. I really like the -as ending though! It's such
a good match for the scheming troglodyte culture I'm giving these
people.
A cursory look at modern Greek tells me it's preserved the nominative
case for some nouns (Ο άνθρωπος, τον άνθρωπο) but not others (Η
γυναίκα, τη γυναίκα). Is that just a gender thing? I could do that in
Neo-Thracian, with only masculine nouns keeping gender, or with sound
shifts occurring that delete case endings in only some words.
Another option is to keep case endings on definite articles but not on
nouns (as in γυναίκα). Then, since the articles are suffixed to nouns,
you end up with suffixes that look like case endings but aren't -
they're definite suffixes that agree with case. Bulgarian does that
for masculine nouns.
My last option is to just keep case endings, like Lithuanian. In my
alternate history, Thracian ceased to be a living language some time
in the last thousand years, and is now preserved only as a liturgical
language.*

What do you think?

Dan

*by scheming troglodytes