From: JD Wilson
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2019 2:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Compound nouns and compound adj+noun

Hi there. New to the group but have been tinkering with the same conlang since the age of 14--I'm 53 now. At some point, I ruminated deeply on the idea of "joins" in general. Noun + Noun (bookshelf), noun + verb (skyscraper), and verb + verb. I can't think of a good example of the latter in English, but I imagine there are. I was a Japanese major, however, and Japanese makes liberal use of mash-ups of two verbs; e.g., kaku (write) + kaeru (change) = kakikaeru (re-write).

In my own language, Nyorontu, I opted for a rule of thumb that like could be joined with like. Noun + Noun or Descriptive + Descriptive. Kapta (mountain) + te (tip) yields kaptante, with a nasal inserted as a join. With descriptives (a class that includes both verbs and adjectives), the root SSE (know) + SKE (begin) yields SSE-SKE, "to begin knowing" or "meet." In a sentence: "Da lagha vosseskeg ga ogh roa kaptante." I met you on a mountaintop.

This was a very fertile area for me in terms of vocabulary building.

JDW