Hi, Gary. You might have seen a series of podcasts recently from the Bodleian Library (Bodcasts) about Tolkein. And one scholar quipped that in some cases, Tolkein wasn't inventing languages as much as he was, with Sindarin for example, creating a simulacrum of Welsh. So don't get down on your 7-year-old simulacrum of pig latin. You were in good company.

When I first made the rule of joining like to like, I was at first vexed by the limitation before I realized, as you did, that lots (enough anyhow) verbs become nouns. Because my language marks case with a particle instead of syntax, I couldn't reconcile the union of an object and a verb (skyscraper) without the marker.

I affirm your choice to swap out a -u for an -a in "pelangawalu" because it's pleasing to the ear. Bravo. I might make the observation that if the first word ends in -u and the following word begins with w-, the similarity of the 'u' and 'w' might in practice collapse into one sound. When I try to say "pelanguwalu," what comes out is "pelangwalu," if the phonetics of your language would allow for that.

I enjoyed your follow-up about intensifiers. I'm not sure why I got vexed with those some years ago. It just seemed, someone, too Indo-European. Functionally, I should say, they work better than the alternative. In Japanese, to say: "Moby Dick is longer than Mrs. Dalloway," you must say "More than Mrs. Dalloway, Moby Dick is long." You can put "more" in front of "long," but "Moby Dick is more long..." is gibberish. Anyhow, I wish I could reconcile myself to it, but haven't managed yet.

JDW