Some weeks ago there was a question about SGML software.  The response
did little more than list a dozen or so packages.  Can anybody provide
a little more information than that?  I've been reading the TEI guide-
lines and van Herwijnen's book, and have been getting enthused about
using SGML; I even have a project to work on.  I want to purchase
some software but don't know how to choose what I need.  In Chapter 10
van Herwijnen lists things to look for in an SGML editor and describes
a few systems, but none for MS-DOS, which I'm interested in.  Can anyone
point to some reviews or make some general recommendations?

To describe more specifically what I'm interested in:  A colleague and
I have begun capturing the text of a campus newspaper, primarily for
the purposes of full text searching.  The text is coming from two sources,
ASCII files with embedded formatting codes, which we began collecting a
few months ago, and back issues scanned with a Kurzweil 4000.

I am primarily interested in processing the ready-made E-text, writing
simple conversion programs to convert what formatting I can into structural
tags, and then doing some manual touch-up.  My colleague is is interested
in scanning, which of course requires a lot of manual work.  As this project
evolves the textbase will migrate from platform to platform, so creating
a standard file right at the start makes a lot of sense.  We are tentatively
starting with Folio Views on a PC; by the time we move up to something
bigger, maybe we will be using software that can read SGML directly (we
recently saw a demo of BASISplus which was mentioned on the list a while
ago--it does come with a utility that will load SGML documents, but I
don't know the particulars).

By the way, does anyone know where I can find a DTD for newspapers?

Mike Kreyche
Systems Librarian
Kent State University Libraries                     Kent, Ohio  44242
216-672-3024         FAX 216-672-2265          [log in to unmask]