TEI Meeting in Norway: a brief report

As announced earlier on this list, the TEI recently organised a
special working meeting, bringing together members of the two
Working Committees responsible for the bulk of the first draft of
the TEI Guidelines and the heads of the Work Groups responsible
for extending and modifying that draft. Over twenty working
papers were circulated before the meeting, setting out the
current state of work within each of the fourteen active Work
Groups, and providing a good basis for detailed technical
discussion. The chief purpose of the meeting was to review and
approve the proposals of the Work Groups concerning changes or
extensions needed to the current draft, and of course to decide
any remaining points of controversy, but an unexpected side
benefit was the opportunity for TEI-enthusiasts from different
scholarly communities to exchange ideas, in what turned out to be
a very fruitful and intellectually stimulating atmosphere. The
meeting was organised with exemplary hospitality by Stig
Johansson (University of Oslo) and Claus Huitfeldt (University of
Bergen) and took place last weekend at a snow-bound hotel in the
mountains above Bergen.

As discussion proceeded, a list was made of areas requiring
further detailed work. Seven task groups were then constituted to
address these issues and provide answers to several specific
technical questions. A brief summary of the issues and  solutions
agreed at the meeting will follow this note as a separate
posting. In addition, new drafts and discussion documents
relating to them will be posted here as a matter of course over
the coming week. We ask those of our readers who do not have a
technical bent to bear with us; we think those who do will find
the postings well worth reading. More detailed reports of the
meeting itself (and its technical content) are also likely to
appear on this and other discussion lists in the coming weeks.

Susan Hockey
Lou Burnard
Michael Sperberg-McQueen