> The problem, as I see it, is that many users, including myself, need full
> 10646 (Unicode) systems yesterday.  Many more also need it but don't yet
> know this.  It's a little like networking.  Before TCP/IP became a defacto
> standard after the introduction of BSD4.2 Unix in 1984, many different,
> incompatible systems were built, e.g., Houston SPOOLER, ARPA/NCP, Berknet,
> UUCP, BITNET, and so forth.

While your suggestive analogy between networking and character encoding
is quite interesting, wouldn't it be more acculate to regard
10646 (Unicode) as OSI?

> What should the system software do when a program expects A WITH ACUTE to
> be one code element, and not two?  Will uses of getc() have to be replaced
> by gets() in order to return more than one code element?  Or will getc()
> have to compose sequences into precomposed code elements (but then
> getc() would have to look at all the character code elements, etc.)?

I'm afraid it is too late.

Those well known questions should have been answered before 10646 was
standardized through which 10646 could have been modified to be a much
more usable standard.

> Given these problems, I do expect that interim solutions will continue to
> be created.

What we need now is, according to your analogy, TCP/IP.

						Masataka Ohta