   Date:         Thu, 1 Oct 1992 12:55:45 CDT
   From: [log in to unmask]
   Subject:      Re: Names of IPA symbols

   On Fri, 25 Sep 1992 15:02:35 -0400 Glenn Adams said:

   >Why would anyone want to create a new character set for IPA?  ISO10646
   >already provides a full encoding of IPA.

   Not for e-mail or Usenet news interchange, where only a subset of plain
   ASCII (to use the terminology loosely) will survive transmission.  They
   are probably looking to find a way of encoding IPA in ASCII, possibly
   using SGML entity notation.

Email & Usenet is not a problem for ISO10646 (at least if one is using an
8-bit clean mailer); simply use the UTF (universal transformation format)
which is part of the 10646 standard.  This transformation converts 10646
into an 8-bit octet stream that protects the C0, C1, SPACE, and DEL octet
values, i.e., it makes it ISO2022 8-bit compatibile.  I have written some
conversion routines; for anyone interested, they can be obtained by
anonymous FTP from METIS.COM [140.186.33.40], or, if you don't have FTP
access, send me mail and I can email it.

Glenn Adams