Lou Burnard writes:

|   The RFC is a bit coy about the relationship between what it proposes
|   and SGML.

Its authors don't think very highly of SGML, because they don't know
what it is, but behave as if they did.  I tried to stop richtext, on the
same grounds that the authors rightfully rejected a number of other
things: on technical merit (i.e., lack thereof).  Many people saw the
point that there was no need to reinvent a markup language in the
presence of SGML, but the authors insisted, quite adamantly, that this
be included, or they'd quit.  They won, for some mysterious reason.

I drafted a paper on the difference between between RichText and SGML,
which I can send to anyone who might be interested.  (Please state
clearly that you think the topic is vastly more interesting than
watching paint dry.)

|   The acronym 'RFC', as we all know, doesn't stand for "request for
|   comment" but "really firm concrete" so I don't anticipate getting this
|   sort of idiocy changed in the near future.

This is utter nonsense.  RFC is "Request for Comments", as it has always
been.  It's up to the Internet Architecture Board to "promote" certain
RFCs on the standards track.  MIME is a "draft standard" at present, and
will go through a review period before it's "promoted" to full standard
status.  I'm going to be there, and I'm going to get richtext cleaned up.

|   What might be nice though is to work towards a world in which a MIME
|   message could specify 'TEI.2' as its message type. Any advice on how
|   we might cause that to happen would be gratefully received...

The RFC itself lists the procedures and authority to do so on page 2.
If you haven't read this RFC closely enough to find it, I don't blame
you.  It's one of the worst RFCs I've seen (and I started my work with
Internet mail in 1987; I've seen many of them).  Here's the pertinent
paragraph:

            MIME has been carefully designed as an extensible mechanism,
            and  it  is  expected  that  the set of content-type/subtype
            pairs   and   their   associated   parameters   will    grow
            significantly with time.  Several other MIME fields, notably
            including character set names, are likely to have new values
            defined  over time.  In order to ensure that the set of such
            values is  developed  in  an  orderly,  well-specified,  and
            public  manner,  MIME  defines  a registration process which
            uses the Internet Assigned Numbers  Authority  (IANA)  as  a
            central  registry  for  such  values.   Appendix  F provides
            details about how IANA registration is accomplished.

Contact the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority <[log in to unmask]> if you
have questions.  I would recommend delaying such a move until MIME has
been reviewed and promoted to "standard", though.

Best regards,
</Erik>
--
Erik Naggum             :  ISO  8879 SGML     :      +47 295 0313
                        :  ISO 10744 HyTime   :