I guess this is as good a time as any to step into the discussion. As
one who is involved in preparing things for electronic distribution, I
have struggled with how at the same time to keep things readable and
also remain consistent with the spirit (if not always the letter) of
SGML. It seems to me that the TEI brain trust could do us all a service
by suggesting something like what I am attempting, as a rather arbitrary
but minimal model for such things. Few of us will read through all the
TEI documentation, but some of us are apt imitators if we have a
reasonable model from which to work.

At present, my proposed model deals only with markup in the body and
notes of the materials with which I deal; I have not yet thought much
about what ought to go into a minimal descriptor file, although some of
that information/documentation is here on the surface where it can be
found most easily by the user.

I will send this posting also to TEI, for reactions, recommendations,
and the like. What is important, I think, is that even where one departs
from standard SGML-TEI guidelines (as I do with accents/diacritics), it
must be possible without too much trouble to create a filter that would
insert the approved markup in the right places -- that is, ambiguity
needs to be avoided. I have not yet been completely successful (e.g. I
use the backslash \ to mark the start of footnote numbers, but also to
separate edition numbers from the date of publication and to indicate
grave accents; there may not be much ambiguity here, but I haven't
subjected the material to rigorous scrutiny to be sure -- footnote
numbers always close with the slash /, and grave accents never precede
numbers, for example).

The material presented here, Walter Bauer's ORTHODOXY AND HERESY, is
being made available on the ccat.sas.upenn.edu gopher (login: gopher). I
hope to have the last few chapters marked and available before summer is
out. Various other materials treated similarly are on the same gopher,
and I hope the flow will continue. Your comments on this approach to
"the SGML problem" are solicited, either privately or publicly.
(I hold the rights to electronic publication of the English Bauer.)

Bob [log in to unmask]
-----

<title>ORTHODOXY AND HERESY IN EARLIEST CHRISTIANITY</>

by <au>Walter Bauer</>
[German original, copyright J.C.B.Mohr, Tu%bingen, 1934]

Second German Edition
ed and supplemented by <ed>Georg Strecker</>
[Copyright J.C.B.Mohr, Tu%bingen, 1964]

English Translation
ed and supplemented by <ed>Robert A. Kraft</>
and <ed>Gerhard Kroedel</>
with a team from the
Philadelphia Seminar on Christian Origins
[Copyright Fortress Press, Philadelphia, 1971]

Updated Electronic English Edition
by <ed>Robert A. Kraft</>
[Copyright Robert A. Kraft, 25 May 1993]

Codes for electronic version:
<ch>...</> chapter title
<h1>...</> major heading (text division)
<h2>...</> second level heading [etc.]
<qu>...</> quotation block
<ts>...</> title of ancient source
<tm>...</> title of modern (monographic) work
<tp>...</> title of modern periodical or series
<em>...</> emphasis
<hi>...</> highlight (set off from context)
<au>...</> author
<ed>...</> editor and/or translator
<gk>...</> Greek word(s)
<lt>...</> Latin word(s)
<sy>...</> Syriac word(s)
<hb>...</> Hebrew word(s)
<gm>...</> German word(s)
<fr>...</> French word(s)
diacritics are represented by appropriate signs after the letter
to which they apply: / \ ~ ^ %(umlaut) +(dieresis) [[etc. as needed]]

-----

NOTE: if you cannot access the gopher and would like to see a sample
chapter, please let me know: [log in to unmask]