From:   OXVAX::LOU          "Lou Burnard" 23-JUN-1993 18:07:02.67
To:     MX%"[log in to unmask]"
CC:     LOU
Subj:   RE: Page/Line Breaks

David Megginson writes:

>I have found that, for my own work, it is useful to have an "offset"
>attribute for <page.break>, etc.  That way, I do not have to stick the
>tag in the middle of a word.  For example, instead of

>  beco<page.break>mon
>
>  <page.break offset=4>becomon

>Any comments?

This provokes two rather negative comments:

1. If the word were 'b&aelig;comon' where would the page break be? The
only way i can see this making sense would be for the offset to be
measured in terms of the ESIS, i.e. (for the value 4) either after the
'c' (if aelig is being rendered as two characters 'ae') or after the
first 'o' (if aelig is being rendered as one character which i can't
type on this pesky terminal). Hmm. This doesn't seem very helpful.

2. What's the problem with putting an empty tag in the middle of a word
anyway?

Incidentally, in TEI P2, the tag <page.break> is replaced by <pb>. If
unconvinced by my arguments above, adding an extra attribute in the way
David proposes is certainly possible: there is some information in the
published chapter DS (default structure) on how this should be done, and
some more in the (as yet unpublished) draft chapter on Conformance.

in haste

Lou Burnard

is certainly

David Megginson