On Thu, 8 Sep 1994 15:33:55 CDT James K. Tauber said:
>Would somebody using sgmls on a Unix machine be kind enough to inform me
>of the directory structure they use for the TEI *.dtd *.ent and *.wsd files
>(as well as sgmldecl.tei) and the SGML_PATH that works for all these.

Well, this isn't the only way to do it, but on the Unix systems I work
on, we make it a practice, or are trying to make it a practice, to
put public SGML materials into a directory called /usr/local/doc/SGML,
and sometimes into subdirectories of that directory.  (But I am still
trying to clean things up and herd all the appropriate files into this
single location from their current whereabouts, spread all over the
directory structure --- so take this with a grain of salt.)
One possible directory structure is

  /usr/local/doc/SGML/TEI - all TEI DTD and ENT files
  /usr/local/doc/SGML/TEI/WSD - all TEI writing system declarations
  /usr/local/doc/SGML/ISO - all ISO entity declaration files

SGML_PATH could then be set to

  %S:/usr/local/doc/SGML/TEI/%S:/usr/local/doc/SGML/ISO'

and it would find the file given in the system identifier in the current
directory, in the TEI directory, or in the ISO directory.  To match
file names against an SGML PUBLIC identifier, you need to work carefully
with the sgmls documentation, or await the version mentioned by David
Megginson, with the facilities for public entity lookup tables.  Pace
David, I don't think the current version really requires alchemical
practices to work, but the documentation is assuredly rather terse.  You
may find it helpful to consult the file SGMLSENT DOC, on the TEI-L list
server (also available from ftp.ifi.uio by anonymous ftp under
the slightly misleading name pub/SGML/SGMLS/sgmls.Sperberg-McQueen).

-C. M. Sperberg-McQueen