On Sun, 16 Oct 94 18:04:12 CDT you said:
>Hello.  Where in the p3 docs will I find discussion of multilingual
>text, e.g., discussions of how one might tag a German commentary on
>Homer that quoted various sources in Greek and Latin?  Or a bilingual
>Arabic-English dictionary?

chapter on Character Set Issues (chapter 4), especially sec. 4.2
(titled 'Shifting among Character Sets' although it also involves
shifts of language without shifts of script).

quotations from other languages are tagged the same way as quotations
from sources in the main language of the document doing the quoting:
all, that is, are <q> (or <quote> if you're using it).  The LANG
attribute is used to distinguish the two cases:

  and short.</q></p>

  Geist, den du begreifst, nicht mir.</q></p>

Similarly, monolingual and polyglot dictionaries share the same overall
structure and tag set, though there are some complications which arise
only in polyglot dictionaries (such as the giving of grammatical
information for words in the sense information, not just for the
headwords).

Since this question comes up regularly, I'm copying this reply, with
your query embedded, to TEI-L, in case others there have the same
question.

best regards,

-C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
 ACH / ACL / ALLC Text Encoding Initiative
 University of Illinois at Chicago
 [log in to unmask] / u35395@uicvm