Speaking as a physician, I think NG tubes for gastric decompression are
absolutely essential for field providers. I have seen far too many
children with compromised airways whose problems disappeared after
gastric decompression. I guess I'm not getting it, but I cannot
understand why NG tubes are such a major issue in the prehospital arena.
I see very little risk and much benefit. I look forward to replies.

Allen R. Walker, M.D.
Pediatric Emergency Medicine
The Johns Hopkins Hospital