In answer to recent queries from Peter Schillingsburg, Mark Giguere, and
Karl Eichwalder:

Software Listing:

One useful place to look for reasonably current listings of SGML
software is the Whirlwind Guide to SGML Tools, maintained by
Steve Pepper.  Copies may be found at the following ftp sites (inter
alia):

   ftp://ftp.ifi.uio.no/pub/SGML/SGML-Tools/
   ftp://ftp.falch.no/pub/SGML-Tools
   ftp://ftp.ex.ac.uk/pub/SGML/sgml-tools.info

(N.B. the archive at sgml1.ex.ac.uk is being phased out.  Use ftp.ex.ac.uk
instead.)

There must be some North American site mirroring this document too, for
days like today when the trans-Atlantic pipe performs like a straw with
a kink in it, but if so I don't know where it is.

Steve provides Postscript files for both letter-size and A4 paper, as
well as an ASCII-only .TXT file and an SGML version.

(N.B. The letter size file, however, begins with a printer command to
LOAD A4 PAPER.  This is presumably followed later by a SHIFT TO
LETTERSIZE command, but our printers here never get to that point:  they
signal for operator intervention, and our operators then kill the print
job.  So I've never actually seen the Postscript output on letter size
paper; I always end up with the .TXT file.)

Translators for SGML Documents:

There are a number of ad hoc translators for specific DTDs, such as the
ones mentioned by Karl Eichwalder and Arthur Ogawa.  More generally,
there are also general-purpose SGML translators which can be used to
translate SGML documents in any DTD into TeX (or into any well defined
output stream).  Perhaps the best known and most flexible of these is
CoST, the Copenhagen SGML Tool, developed by Klaus Harbo.  Contact
information in Steve Pepper's Guide.

Bibliographic Macros:

No packages of SGML-based bibliographic macros that I know of, but I
agree with you that this would be a useful project for anyone looking
for simple software to develop.

-C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
 ACH / ACL / ALLC Text Encoding Initiative
 University of Illinois at Chicago
 [log in to unmask] / u35395@uicvm

"Clarity, Precision and Ease of use does not mean Confinement, Verbosity
and Futility."  -Jean Pierre Gaspart