On Mon, 6 Feb 1995, Thomas Terndrup wrote:

> What do members of the list feel is the principal objective in adminis-
> tering a sedative/anxiolytic to children with lacerations?  Is it a
> reduction in anxiety, improved cooperation, coma, immobility?

My main objective in sedating kids for laceration repair
is to make the experience tolerable for all involved
(child, parent, M.D.)--I guess that would fall into the
reduced anxiety/improved cooperation categories.  We can't
depend on drugs to achieve immobility unless the patient is
comatose, a state of affairs which would make me a little nervous.

Sue Kost
Emergency Department
A.I. duPont (a real children's hospital in Delaware)