Anyone with working knowledge of pediatric prehospital triage please
respond to the following query:

In central Arizona, we are presently restructuring our pediatric triage
scheme.  As committee chair, I am in a quandary about two specific items:

1.      What is the best set of criteria for pediatric critical-care triage?  I
know there are several sets of criteria in the pediatric literature.  Does
anyone have practical experience in formulating/adapting these for a specific
region?

2.      What criteria best define the "unstable" pediatric patient?
Specific numbers (Peds Coma Score/VS) or "altered level of consciousness"-type
general single criterion?

Also, any workable algorithm of pediatric transportation and triage (PCCC vs
General ED) would be appreciated.

Last, does anyone have experience in incorporation of pediatric
critical-care triage within existing trauma center triage?

I would be willing to share the end-product with the list (probably in 6-12
months).  Is there an ftp site?

Thanks!

Peter W. Vann, MD FACEP          Voice: (602) 491-8680
Vice-Chair, AEMS, Inc.           Fax:   (602) 491-8680
Assistant Medical Director,      e-mail:
  Phoenix Baptist Hospital         [log in to unmask]
9144 S. Dromedary Drive
Tempe, AZ 85284