I'm trying to get sgmls to work on a unix machine and seem to have problems
with setting everything up. I have sgmls compiled and I grabbed the TEI
dtd's. I have one document that starts with:

<!DOCTYPE tei.2 SYSTEM "tei2.dtd" [
   <!ENTITY % TEI.extensions.ent SYSTEM 'ext.spa.ent' >
   <!ENTITY % TEI.extensions.dtd SYSTEM 'ext.spa.dtd' >
   <!ENTITY % TEI.drama 'INCLUDE' >
]>

and sgmls just gives me gibberish, starting with errors right on the second
line:

sgmls: SGML error at BS_73v-74r.tei, line 2 in declaration parameter 2:
       Parameter entity name longer than (NAMELEN-1); truncated
sgmls: SGML error at BS_73v-74r.tei, line 2 at "n":
       Length of name, number, or token exceeded NAMELEN or LITLEN limit
sgmls: SGML error at BS_73v-74r.tei, line 2 at "s":
       Length of name, number, or token exceeded NAMELEN or LITLEN limit
sgmls: SGML error at BS_73v-74r.tei, line 2 at "i":
       Length of name, number, or token exceeded NAMELEN or LITLEN limit
sgmls: SGML error at BS_73v-74r.tei, line 2 at "o":
       Length of name, number, or token exceeded NAMELEN or LITLEN limit

Can some kind soul tell me how I have to set things up? I'm wondering about
the directory structure (i.e. where to put the dtd's and where to put the
documents, and how to connect them) and other things (environment
variables?)... It would be great if I could grab an example directory tree
somewhere and start from there.

Many thanks,

Angela Moll
Cornell University