Some months ago SoftQuad announced a free SGML browser, called Panorama,
that should have beeen released by the end of January.

Does anyone know wether it has been made available or not, even in beta
release.

This question is, I think, of a certain importance: in fact the major
problem with SGML and TEI is the enormous cost of the progessional
browsers and editing tools (such as Dynatext or SQ Explorer).

The tagging of a text corpora is in itself a valuable project; but
without any (cheap) tool avalaible to exploit that amount of information,
a TEI tagged could only be a source that must be cleaned, to most of
users!

For instance, I work on a projet called Progetto Manuzio, that is
somthing like Project Gutemberg, dedicated to Italian literature
(by the way, at the moment project Manuzio is on the ftp server at
the address ghost.dsi.unimi.it/pub2/papers/basagni/Manuzio).

We are now discussing about the migration of the textual database
to a tei conformant corpus, but we face the problem: since the users
are not only scholar devoted to text encoding, how can we let
everyone take advantage of our effort?

I hope that these reflections arise some interest!

                                        Fabio Ciotti
                                        Dip. di Italianistica
                                        Universita' di Roma La Sapienza