I have to agree whole heartedly with Jim Chamberlin about the need to restrict
the use of any antibiotic to those conditions that need antibiotics.  We (the
house of Medicine) overuse antibiotics in the outpatient setting, and we
are/will continue to pay for the indiscretion.

Multi-resistant bugs (Memphis is endemic for pen resistant strep)
Excessive expense (one of the few for which we are responsible)
Perpetuation of the myth of the quick cure (My least favorite type of patient)
Iatrogenic adverse effects in patients that did not need the antibiotic
 to begin with (Oh the horror stories)

Bubba,
David G. Ward, M.D.
Le Bonheur Children's Medical Center