On Sun, 23 Jul 1995, Garry Wilkes wrote:

> At 02:28 PM 21/7/95 -0500, Joel T. Hardin, M.D. wrote:
> > some ER based EMTs do perform what can be more or
> >less termed "nursing activities" such as taking histories, physical
> >assessment,
>
> This statement facinates me.
>
> In Australia the doctors take a history, examine the patient, form a
> provisional diagnosis, and confirm or refute their diagnosis/differential
> with appropriate investigations. Urgent treatment is rendered as
> appropriate. Is this not a universal practice?
>
> If nurses (or anyone else) are doing this, it implies either double handling
> or that doctors dont perform these tasks.
>
> I await enlightenment ;-)

Enlighten I will try and do....

We MDs may think that we are the only one's capable of asking germane
questions, thoughtfully responding to the answers, and rendering
effective care to the patient, but in fact most good nurses do just that
every day.  Sure, many of the "procedures and therapies" await a
physician's order, but I would hate to think (and especially hate to say
out loud in front of my nursing colleagues) that history and physical
assessment skills are known only to MDs.

Boy if that statement on my part doesn't show how open-minded I can be
about the REAL question I asked  --  who should license EMTs and EMT-Ps,
a physician medical board or a nursing board --  I don't know what else I
can say.

This is quite interesting a thread actually, since my original question
begged an answer to the licensure issue, but MDs have responded with
irrelevant statements like the one above, and an earlier one asking me
why I was qualified to be the pediatric medical director of an ambulance
service.  C'mon docs, give me replies that go to my real question.  The
few EMT and EMT-P responses have actually been quite eloquent in this vein.

   _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/  _/ =  Joel T. Hardin, M.D.  Pediatric Cardiology
     _/      _/   _/  _/  =  Children's Hospital   Pediatric Intensive Care
 _/ _/      _/   _/_/_/   =  Medcenter One         (800) 932-8758
 _/_/      _/   _/  _/    =  300 North 7th Street  (701) 255-5839  FAX
  _/      _/   _/  _/     =  Bismarck, ND  58501   <[log in to unmask]>