On Sun, 23 Jul 1995, Garry Wilkes wrote:
> Steri-strips are useful for superficial lacs only as they leave a 'dead
> space' with deeper wounds inviting infection.

        I have never been able to find a reference that supports the
commonly held assumption that we need to close "dead space". It sounds
logical to do this but just how much dead space is there if the skin is
closed.  I did find an animal study (deHoll D. Am J Surg 1974;127:716)
that reported potentiation of infection by closing "dead space".
        Lower extremity wounds in general have a higher rate of infection
and I agree with those who use a selective approach to suturing foot
lacerations.
Robert McNamara,MD,FAAEM
Program Director, Emergency Medicine
Medical College of Pennsylvania