The rule of thumb for any foreign body, sharp or blunt, that we follow in
southern New Jersey is that if it made it to the stomach it should make
it to the rectum as well.  The only exception would be alkaline batteries
which fail to progress in the GI tract.  We give the usual cautions to
the parents about immediate return for abdominal complaints, but I have
yet to see such complaints.  If the FB is not observed to pass and x-ray
is taken at three weeks to confirm its passage.

Tell Drs. Azizkhan and Glick to try decaf and watch these things go away
on thir own.

Thomas V. Whalen                                E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Associate Professor of Surgery and Pediatrics
Robert Wood Johnson Medical School at Camden
3 Cooper Plaza           Suite 411            Camden, New Jersey   08103
Phone: 609-342-3250                                    Fax: 609-365-7582