Yes, presnently there has been no GABHS resistant to penicillin. Penicillin
remains the treatment of choice. There is good data to support b.i.d. dosing
of children, 250 mg penicillin V in children under 12 and 500 mg in those
over 12.

>On Mon, 3 Jul 1995, DAVID G. WARD (901) 572-3010 wrote:
>
>> Gilbert Z. Given,
>> <Where is the data for all this Pen-resistant Group A Streptococcus?
>>
>> I'm not sure I specified GABHS.  In Memphis we have, I think,
>> pneumococcus resistant to pen.  I'll check with ID and get back to you
>> with more info.  I'm out of town for the next week or so, though.
>

>I was just reading through the June 1995 Pediatric Clinics of North
>America titled Antimicrobial Resistance in Pediatrics.  There is a
>chapter on Antibiotic Resistance in Group A Streptococci pp 539-551. They
>state "an isolate of GABHS that is resistant to penicillin has yet to be
>documented."  The author goes on to state, "mutants exhibiting elevated
>MIC values for penicillin have been produced in the laboratory."  So
>maybe it will just be a matter of time for this to occur, but it hasn't yet.
>

>Jim Lindsay, MD  CAlifornia Pacific Med Center,  San Francisco, CA
Gilbert Z. Given, M.D.
Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics
University of Chicago