I too like a quick look. I will usually perform this if there is a
doubt as to position. If the patient has a nice chest rise with bagging
, + end tidal Co2 or is responding to CPR ,has SaO2 >90%, than I am not
going to look unless there is something to make me question the tube
position. Sometimes after a residents intubation I will look  even if
the physical parameter are OK. I do this to check for oral trauma and
check to see the tube ispassing through the cords.
Field intubations often are dislodged by the time of arrival so we are
quick to extubate and reintubate if BS are not heard or the IP feels
the tube has slipped.
We use tape to secure our ET's but I have worked in places where
umbilical cord string is used( seems to be OK except in long term
imobilization) also have seen  a device that clamps onto the ET tube.

MIH.