The heat wave in Philadelphia as usual has led to children playing in
open fire hydrants and lacerating their feet.  We have several opinions
on the advisability of suturing these wounds.  I'm interested in the
approach taken around the ?world based on length, depth, edge separation
and location on the foot.  I have not been suturing those between the
toes that approximate with buddy taping or small shallow lacerations, but
larger, gaping wounds on weight bearing surfaces I have been closing.  I
just finished listening to the complaint of a local pediatrician whose
patient with a 3cm laceration on the ball of the foot was managed by one
of our EM residents without suturing.  It is healing well but he reports
that the child has difficulty ambulating as the wound is granulating.