On Tue, 4 Jul 1995 15:19:39 CDT James K. Tauber said:
>In NT mss, abbreviation by contraction occurs with a limited set of
>'sacred' words know as nomina sacra. The scribe often indicates this with
>a horizontal line above the word.
>
>   __
>eg QS instead of QEOS
>
><abbr> seems an obvious tag for this with something like:
>
><abbr expand="QEOS" type=ns>QS</>
>
>But we'd like to mark the horizontal line where it exists. A "rend"
>attribute on <abbr> would be nice but lacking this, what suggestions do
>people have?

Several possibilities occur to me:

1 use the REND attribute (you do have a REND attribute on abbr; it's
a global attribute) to specify how the abbreviation is signalled:

   <abbr expan='QEOS' type='ns' rend='overline'>QS</>

2 define an entity to mean 'QS with overline' and use it to record
the abbreviation:

   <abbr expan='QEOS' type='ns'>&QSoverline;</abbr>

3 use the TYPE attribute to classify abbreviations by the form of
the abbreviation (rather than the type of referent) and place the
information about the overline there:

   <abbr expan='QEOS' type='overlined'>QS</>

4 define an entity to mean 'QS with overline as abbreviation for QEOS'
and use it without the ABBR element, allowing the decision over
how to tag the abbreviation to be changed by substituting different
entity declarations.

The text itself would then be transcribed, say, as &QS;, and expanded
to one of the preceding three forms, depending on how the entity QS
was declared:

  <!ENTITY QS
  "<abbr expan='QEOS' type='ns' rend='overline'>QS</>" >

or

  <!ENTITY QS
  "<abbr expan='QEOS' type='ns'>&QSoverline;</abbr>" >

or

  <!ENTITY QS
  "<abbr expan='QEOS' type='overlined'>QS</>" >

or of course (for simple printing or display):

  <!ENTITY QS  "Q[EO]S">

-C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
 ACH / ACL / ALLC Text Encoding Initiative
 University of Illinois at Chicago
 [log in to unmask] / u35395@uicvm

"Clarity, Precision and Ease of use does not mean Confinement, Verbosity
and Futility."  -Jean Pierre Gaspart