While it takes a little programming, I have found that the perl
script idea developed at Univ of Virginia produces very good
HTML for the TEI texts I'm editing for the Victorian Women
Writers Project <URL http://www.indiana.edu/~letrs/vwwp/>.
I think that perl provides very powerful string substition
using regular expressions, can provide as simple or complex
conversion to HTML as any other method, and is fast enough
to allow for on-the-fly conversion with no noticeable drag
on the server.  However, it's not "plug and play" and would
require some minimal programming to fit your needs and encoding
practices (but perl isn't all that difficult to learn).

Perry Willett
Main Library
Indiana University