THhree common myths, that are dying hard...hmmm

1) Everyone who arrives with a C-collar in place needs Xrays to
"clear" the spine.

2) Everyone with a brief loss of consciousness, despite a normal neuro
exam, needs a CT scan.

3) Everyone with a seriuos mechanism of injury, regardless of their
physiology, needs admission for observation (or needs a stay in the
observation unit for 12 or 24 hours, depending on your local custom).

4. Only a surgeon can accurately diagnose appendicitis.

5. Only a surgeon can accurately rule out occult intraabdominal injury.

6. A neurologist needs to consult on every child with a simple febrile
seizure.

7. A child with a simple febrile seizure needs lytes, calcium, magnesium,
phosphorus, etc.

8. A child with an afebrile seizure needs an immediate CT scan and LP.

9. A patient with low risk of disease needs a test for "medicolegal
reasons," whatever that means.

10. All adolescents with chest pain should have an ECG and Chest Xray.

11. Physicians can predict which children are bacteremic.

12. Most physicians can diagnose otits media accurately in infants.

13. The ED is the best place to treat patients with psychiatric disease
and victims of sexual assault.

14. The white blood cell differential is useful in distinguishing
bacterial from viral disease.

15. A chest Xray is often useful in infants with bronchiolitis.

16 ED physician judgement and performance of skills is as good after 10
hours as at the beginning of a shift...as good at night as during daytime...

17. I'll still be able to work nights when I'm 50...

18. My family life doesn't suffer when I work nights.

Any comments?

Jim Chamberlain
Emergency Department
Children's Hospital