This is in follow-up to my recent comments concerning our paper on Plain
Radiograph Interpretations in Annals of Emergency Medicine.  I am pleased to
inform everyone that the radiology community is well aware of our internet
conversations into this issue and are very interested in this topic.  The
Medical Director of our Pediatric Radiology Department informed me that they
were "..in no way influenced by it (our study)" and that they "...had
planned to extend their coverage".  However, to date there is still only in
house coverage by a radiologist through the evening.  Radiographs are
interpreted during the late evening hours and overnights by the emergency
medicine physicians.  These radiographs are not routinely reviewed by the
radiologist until the morning following disposition of the patient.  I agree
with the value of their services if the radiologists were available 24 hours
per day to coincide with the hours of operation of the emergency center.
However, without 24 hour "extended coverage" by the radiologist, the
necessity of dual readings and routine follow-up reviews remains an
important issue to consider in the era of capitated medicine.
---

Hal Simon,MD
Egleston Children's Hospital/Emory University

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: