        Let me quibble for a moment with the assertion that iodine (as in
Betadine Solution) is toxic to tissues.  I have heard many surgeons express
this as fact, but it is not, to my knowledge, substantiated by the literature.
A misreading of the studies I think has led to propagation of this myth.
        One study (Rodeheaver Arch Surg 1982 117:181) showed Betadine
SCRUB but not Betadine Solution impaired wound healing.  This effect was
attributed to the detergents in the scrub and not the iodine.  Another
study (Faddis J Trauma 1977;17:895) showed 10% iodine caused toxic
effects when injected into rabbit cartilage but the 1% iodine solution
had almost no effect.  Betadine is 10% povidone iodine, which is 1% iodine.
Gravett (Annals EM 1987 16:167) showed cleansing with Betadine
Solution and leaving in the wound reduced infection rates, and did not
impair wound healing.  I use Betadine in wounds and, absent new data,
would like to see the unsubstantiated assertions end.

Mark Joffe
St. Christopher's Hospital for Children