Dr. Roberto Murguia wrote:

"I am begining to use HYSTOACRYL (ENBUCRILATE),(cyanoacrylate) which I bought
in Europe, because it is not yet for sale in USA and MEXICO. I have read
several articles about it, and it seems to be very effective.
I would like to share experiences with anyone who has used it,  specially in
facial wound repair in children.
Since the product is very expensive in Mexico and CRAZY GLUE (etil
cyanoacrylate)is very cheap, can any one tell me if it is posible to use it
instead of HYSTOACRYL?
Thank You"

Hystoacryl is in sale in Canada for few years.  I use it
personnaly for more about two years for facial laceration
where there is no need to repare in two layers.

The results, as shown in the studies published, seems very
good to me, as I remember only one small dehiscence case
from these patients, mostly pediatrci but also adult.  I feel
now very confortable to use it.

It's expansive also in Canada, but let me give you that trick:
on the first use, you cut a part a the output tubing just
after the first segment.  Then you put a pretty small needle
(let say a 30 1/2 inch) on that segment, which fit almost
perfectly.  The drops you get from that is much smaller than
the one with the plastic tube, letting you do a much more
precise work. I put small drops few mm apart, as if they
were stitches.  Then when it's done I change the needle.  On
that way one bottle can be use almost 20 times, so in fact
it's become cheaper than stitches!  And faster to, almost
pain less except for a burning sensation sometimes.

I'm not shure you can use Crazy-glue on skin.  I read somewhere
that this is not the same compound as Hystoacryl, and that
it is more toxic and more painful for the skin.

If you need more, see that next one:

A RANDOMIZED, CONTROLLED TRIAL COMPARING A TISSUE
ADHESIVE WITH SUTURING IN THE REPAIR OF PEDIATRIC
FACIAL LACERATIONS
Quinn, J.V., et al, Ann Emerg Med 22(7):1130, July 1993

Alain Vadeboncoeur MD
Alain Vadeboncoeur MD
Chief, Emergency departement
Pierre-Boucher Hospital